Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Brothers, Lets Talk by Solo


If you were to ask a psychologist to name the most important influence on the mental status of the young brothers and sisters, the answer would be self-esteem. Self-esteem refers to how much you like yourself and how good you feel about yourself. One can consider self-esteem as a continuum, ranging from a high stand point to a low one. People with a high level of self-esteem accept themselves for who they are. They carry a realistic view of their strengths and weaknesses and they maintain a positive attitude even when they fail. They form close relationships with people who respect and value them. People with high levels of self-esteem don't walk around around with their pants below their asses. They don't bring harm to their bodies, they are not disrespectful towards their families, themselves, nor members in their communities.

Take a moment to think about some decisions you made today. What role did your sense of self-esteem play in each of your decisions? Most likely, how you felt about yourself this morning. It also played a part in your interactions with others. Do you thank a higher power for allowing you to wake up this morning? Do you tell first, the people you live with good morning? Or enjoy your day before leaving the house? If you answered yes to any one of these questions then you're a person with a high level of self-esteem.

Self-esteem begins to develop when you are young, that's not saying one cannot grow into it but the foundation is built from a young age. Children need the support and positive encouragement from family members to develop a sense of self-worth. Then as you grow older, teachers, friends, and others, as well as events in your life will influence your self-esteem. I was unfortunate n my childhood due to having two parents, many uncles, and cousins that were chemically dependent. And being a middle child caused me nothing but pain. Along with a very traumatizing experience led me to leave home before I was eight years old. No child could ever become productive as an adult with a childhood like mine. I became my own worst enemy and in a way, prison saved me.

I've always made stupid mistakes that caused my world to come crashing in on me. I'm always held accountable for my actions and the actions of others as well. My life is always at the mercy of the court and the court doesn't ever have any mercy. I don't have any difficulty adjusting to imprisonment because I have spent over thirty years in and out of prison. I am now 55 years old. I've lost any and every one who means anything. I no longer fit in this environment. But then again, who does? I have come to the realization that I have talent and show potential to be a great speaker. I see life through a different set of eyes. I believe you would agree - life is not a game.

Sometimes things don't work out the way I plan. That does not make me a bad person. It only makes me human. Sometimes I go into deep thought and block out all the hollering and screaming that goes on every night here at Sing Sing just so I can think. My thoughts used to be about family, now that they have made the transition to the other side I focus now on knowing Gary, meeting new people who are about positive elevation. If nothing more, I pray my letter allows you to reflect over your life and ask yourself "Do I like what I see?".

Lets Talk.


*The work displayed in Links Not Chains belongs to the authors exclusively and the content reflects the opinions, feelings, and observations of the respective author only. Some of the names have been altered in order to respect privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment